November 23, 2019
SOURDIF’S OT WINNER LIFTS THE GIANTS OVER THE OIL KINGS
VAN – 3:57 into the game, Milos Roman’s (11) shot from the left-wing point snuck through traffic and past Todd Scott to give the Giants the 1-0 lead.
VAN – Cole Shepard (5) extended the Giants lead at 18:56 off a quick shot from the slot. Dylan Plouffe and Jackson Shepard both assisted.
Shots: 16-8 Vancouver
VAN – 14 seconds into the middle frame, Tristen Nielsen (11) knocked home a Justin Sourdif rebound off the rush to make it a 3-0 lead for Vancouver.
EDM – Dylan Guenther got Edmonton on the board at 2:18 off a one-timer from atop the left-wing circle on the power play.
EDM – Riley Sawchuk grabbed his team-leading 12th goal at 17:06 off the rush on a high shot from the slot that snuck under the bar and in.
Shots: 11-7 Edmonton
EDM – Matthew Robertson (6) tied the score for Edmonton at 7:22 on a shorthanded breakaway.
VAN – Tristen Nielsen (12) countered with a shorthanded marker of his own at 8:49 off a Milos Roman rebound.
EDM – Josh Williams converted on a power play for Edmonton at 12:31 off a Jake Neighbours feed to even the score at 4-4.
*Edmonton forward Carter Souch was awarded a penalty shot with 2.1 seconds remaining in the third period. He skated in close on Trent Miner and rung his shot clean off the left post, ensuring overtime for the fourth time this season for the Giants.
Shots: 16-7 Edmonton
VAN – Justin Sourdif cemented the victory for the Vancouver Giants at 2:57 of overtime off the rush when he snuck a low shot through the legs of Todd Scott and in. Sourdif’s 10th goal of the season was assisted by both Bowen Byram and Dylan Plouffe.
Final Score: Vancouver 5 – Edmonton 4 (Overtime)
Final Shots: 36 – 31 Edmonton
Trent Miner: 32/36 saves for Vancouver (6-5-1-1)
Todd Scott: 26/31 saves for Edmonton (7-3-4-1)
Edmonton Power Play: 2/6
Vancouver Power Play: 0/6
- Tristen Nielsen (VAN – 2G, 1A)
- Milos Roman (VAN – 1G, 1A)
- Riley Sawchuk (EDM – 1G, 1A)
- The Giants improved their overtime record to 1-1 on the season.
- Tonight marked the first WHL overtime winning goal in Justin Sourdif’s career.
- The Giants are now 3-1 on the season against the Central Division.
- Dylan Plouffe led all Giants with a +4 rating.
- Vancouver Giants goaltenders are now a perfect three-for-three on penalty shots this season. Trent Miner has now stopped Carter Souch (Nov. 23) and Riley McKay (Oct. 9).